🎯 Key takeaways:
1. Registering a brand new dot com for your brand is almost impossible.
2. Finding great domain names is easier when you shop for expired domains.
3. Expired domains also come with a range of benefits, such as SEO authority.
Tell me if this sounds familiar...
Every domain name you come up with is already registered 😭
Or you could buy a Tesla Model S for the asking price 🤬
Let’s look at some hard data:
📈 The domain name market is saturated beyond belief.
There were 112,354 .coms registered every single day, on average, in December 2020https://domainnamestat.com/statistics/tld/com-TLD_ID-220
Premium dot coms get sold for anywhere from $2k to $50k and even more. https://namecorp.com/25000-for-a-domain-name-is-not-crazy/ https://www.businessinsider.com/why-10000-for-a-domain-name-is-still-cheap-2011-4 https://gaps.com/content-maker-marketplace/ https://buffer.com/resources/acquired-buffer-com/ https://domaininvesting.com/sold-for-50k-in-2014-ingles-com-re-sold-for-400000/
Here’s a list of some major dot coms that were sold in 2020:
|Domain Name||Sale Price|
Luckily for us, there is a gap in the market. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Over 70,000 .com domains expire on an average day. https://member.expireddomains.net/domains/expiredcom/#listingExpiredDomains.net
And you can buy these expired domains just for the “reg fee”. Registration Fee – that’s what domainers call the regular domain registrar fee of around $10
Here’s the deal:
💡 The are 3 immediate benefits of buying expired domain names
Finding a brandable .com for your project while saving thousands of dollars
Getting a domain name with a strong portfolio of backlinks and SEO authority
Flipping expired domains to people looking for .coms to power their startups
Let’s take it from the top:
💵 Saving money on brandable .coms
- It only costs $8.88 to register an available dot com at Namecheap.
- According to my experience, a typical startup spends several thousand dollars on a domain name in 2020.
- Every dollar saved on your domain name is a dollar you can invest in other areas of your business.
💪 Expired domains and SEO
- Some expired domains are valuable because they come with a strong portfolio of backlinks.
- A number SEOs buy expired domains and set up 301 redirects to tunnel a part of the link juice to their existing sites.
- Expired domains can be also used to set up PBNsPrivate Blog Networks – a blackhat method used to rank websites in Google fast quicker.
That being said, you really need to know what you’re doing here:
Sometimes we recognize that a new site is completely unrelated to an old site. So for example, if you go out and buy an old domain name, it might have been a church website for 10 years. If we recognize your new website is really not the same as it was, then we need to understand that difference and say that, these links, they apply to the old website but they don’t apply to the new one.John Mueller, Google
📢 Flipping expired domains
- All work is moving online and there’s a huge demand for great domain names from people looking to create startups and side projects.
- You can capitalize on the fact that very few people know how to find and buy expired domains.
- Domain names can be sold on marketplaces like Sedo or Flippa.
This is where you start:
👨💻 Where to find and buy expired domain names?
- My favorite tool for finding expired domain names is ExpiredDomains.net. It’s completely free as in free beer.
- Once you get some experience you can experiment with DropCatch.com. It’s a new company that recently took the market by storm. That’s what the pros use nowadays.
- I buy all my domains at Namecheap.
🧠 3 actionable ideas
- Limit yourself to a single vertical. Start a niche version of BrandBucket.com and sell niche domain names.
- Offer a domain name consulting service for startups that researches and finds the perfect domain name.
- Researching expired domain names can be very inspirational. Reverse engineering popular names often leads to new business ideas.
|8||↑||Registration Fee – that’s what domainers call the regular domain registrar fee of around $10|
|9||↑||Private Blog Networks – a blackhat method used to rank websites in Google fast|